Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Episode 1: Come As You Are

I did have a little advantage over the Project Runway contestants on this challenge. I got to do the laundry first and make sure they weren't sweaty pjs; but as my husband will attest I do wear this to bed. It's a bit big on me now, and was originally his shirt, but this is what I used to make my look.

I gotta say anyone of the designers who complains about not having enough time does not have my sympathy. I would have given just about anything for 2 solid work hours. Instead I did all the deconstruction and pinning while my daughter played in the pool one afternoon, alternating between playing and pinning.  Then I snuck 15 minute increments all day as she got busy doing things or playing with Daddy.

 I realized I should have taken some in progress photos but this time around, oh well you live and learn. I asked my daughter this morning to take a photo of me so I could show my friends, Nice shot huh.
She took one photo and handed the camera back to me and said, "I'm a model take my picture"

Just for the cuteness factor there she is.
There are some challenges designing for yourself. I didn't have anyone to hem the pants or make sure the fit was perfect. Looking at it in photos I see little things I would have changed, but I really do like it. It is quite comfortable, and I can't wait to wear it.
SO without further ado, Voila! My first completed Plus Size Challenge!
 Comfy enough to stay home but sassy enough for a night out with the girls. I'll be honest I might have changed the pants color, but I had already dyed them once and I figured the Project Runway contestants wouldn't have had time for another dye bath. I was originally planning to make a dress still using the upper bodice section, but once I got the front pinned I saw a little classy biker in it and thought a slack would look better.
I was planning on wearing heals to model this, but sometimes you make sacrifices. I don't have the piperlime accesory wall so I went to the thrift store to buy a pair of heals, instead I found a doll house my daughter has been wanting for quite a while and I bought that instead, thus leaving me with no money for pumps. Make it work! as Tim Gunn says, so I just left my flats on and looked cute.

My favorite part is the back of the shirt. The neck tie is made from the boxers. I have worn them for the past 5 years, since I was pregnant with my daughter and the fabric is very floaty and thin. The very feminine tie balances the more masculine front design. It should be noted here, that the shirt was bought because it was a play on the transformers logo and says.
Trans-formed "Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation, old things have passed away. Behold all things have become new" 2 Corinthians 5:17
Quite appropriate for a challenge about making a new look from old stuff. LOVE IT!
Now I have about 48 hours until the new challenge comes around, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment